Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spotless gray sky

I looked at the trees, the lawn, the grass and the sky. I kept staring out of the window at a distance. Above the sound of the rain, I could hear my mom fry pakoras in the kitchen, the sizzle went louder and louder with every set of pakoras as the oil got hotter and hotter. The first rain of the year. A heavy downpour. The kind that wets the entire earth within seconds. Suddenly the strong wind threw a few drops of water on my face. I blinked and took a deep breath. I turned around and looked inside our house from the verandah. I could see my grandpa sitting in the hanging bag, pretending to read the newspaper, but actually was fast asleep. I made sure mom was still in the kitchen, listening to the old old Hindi songs playing on the radio. I slipped my feet into my slippers and quietly stepped out of the house.



I walked slowly and heavily on the mud path that was carved out around our garden cum lawn. I stopped at the place where we had to enter into the garden. I looked at my feet, at the slippers and then at the grass. I removed my slippers and stepped on the grass. I walked slowly as I felt the grass beneath my feet. By now my clothes were getting stuck to me.Means I was fully wet, and wet to the core. I was fully wet in the first rain of the year.



I looked up at the sky. It was a uniform grey. Spotless. Plain. But not dull in any way. I stared at the sky, unblinking. I felt the drops of rain, sharp as razor; hit my face, my eyes, my cheeks. I stood there, looking at the sky.



Somewhere I could hear someone calling out to me. I ignored.



I lifted my hand and ran it over my face. Slowly I could feel this energy build up in me. My breath grew stronger, heavier. The only thing which I wanted to do is to shout out at the top of my voice. But before I could do that, I had people stare at me, the people looked at me as if some mad trying out his stupid stunt, and that really embarresed me. But I just kneeled down, spread my arms wide open, looked at the Spotless grey sky and just wished, I wish could really shout once. But still WHAT AN LIBERATION IT IS!!!!!

What a joy!!!!

Suddenly everyone was out of their houses. They were all staring at me, wondering if I had lost my mind. Mom was standing in the verandah of our house with grandpa, just hoping I was fine. I looked at them. I looked at the people who were staring at me. walked out of our garden onto the street and looked up at the sky again. And walked back into the house, fully drenched in the rain.

But I wish I could just do what I wanted and had no one to really bother me. But no I had many, but even could'nt help that too. That's the problem we face every now and then, when we are kids, we have our parents, who keep telling us what to do, and what not to do, once we are married, we will have many other responsibilties, and again that time also we cannot do what we really aspire to do, and at the end , again when we are old, we cannot do what we want, because our children may not like it. So the answer really remains unanswered.

When are we going to live the way we want to??? WHEN??? WHEN??? WHEN???

No comments: